Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Day 18 - 121 Mi to Kirksville, MO




Another classic day on the ride across America.  I thought yesterday had some hills.  Today had more and they were longer and steeper.  Today’s ride took us from Cameron, MO to Kirksville, MO along Hwy 36 for the first 30 miles.   This was the only time there was no up and downs.  After getting off Hwy 36 we got back into the back roads of MO were the terrain gets rolling and steep. I registered many 12%- 14% grades on many of the hills and they just seemed to keep coming all day.   The ride leader told us that someone tried to count the hills between Chillicothe and Kirksville one year and they lost count somewhere around 230...that’s averaging over 2 hilltops per mile all day! The total hill climbing today exceeded 7000 feet and my riding partner Jim and I were able to average 17.6 mph.  I burned 5000 calories today doing the ride so I immediately got 2 chocolate shakes as soon as I was done.

Tomorrow should be an easy day, we ride 96 miles and we enter our 8th state on our way to Quincy, IL.

(Most Photos taken by Mike Munk- Bamacyclist.com)












After ride beverages, Chocolate shakes and water.

They don't lose Cats or Dogs out here (Spelling isn't good either)

No comments:

Post a Comment