Friday, May 10, 2013

Day 20 - 106 Mi to Springfield, IL




What a difference a day can make.  With 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep, flat terrain and favorable winds, today's ride seemed easy as I was able to average 19.3 MPH for the day and close to 20 MPH for 100 miles.  The weather today was raw and cool with some rain along the way but enjoyable compared to the hills of Missouri.  We got started at 7:00 and rode to breakfast 14 miles from the motel at a little hole in the wall called Mike's Place in Liberty IL. I had my first breakfast at the hotel just to get me going.
Outside Mike's Place in Liberty, IL


The entire group having breakfast

Our route this morning had a few hills in the first 45 miles but nothing like we've had the last couple of days in Missouri. After that, it really flattened out and speed was out there for the taking.  After leaving Mike's, I latched on to our 4 lead and strongest riders on this trip and was able to hang on for about 25 miles at a speed of 23 MPH.  They finally dropped me on two consecutive 5% grade hills.  After lunch, I started before them and rode hard to see if I could make it to the hotel before them but they are too good and they finally caught me with 1 mile to go.   It was fun riding with them and helps me with my speed and endurance.  
We arrived in Springfield, the Capitol of Illinois and the home of The Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum around 2:30 today. Tomorrow is our rest day so getting in early today adds to the rest day.  I had a scheduled massage at 5:00 and it was much needed.  The quads were aching and getting them worked on really helps in the recovery.  Tomorrow I will work on cleaning my bike up and relaxing getting ready for the last leg of this trip.  12 more riding days that will take us through Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, NY, PA, NH and finally my home state of Massachusetts.  

Here are some pictures from today:

(Most Photos taken by Mike Munk- Bamacyclist.com)






Crossing the Illinois River
State Capitol

No comments:

Post a Comment