Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Day 32 - 125 Mi to Keene, NH



Wow, welcome to New England and the Green Mountains.  You knew the day was going to be tough when right out of the hotel we were met with our first climb of the day and it never seemed to end.  Today was another three state day; NY, VT and NH.  Vermont is such a beautiful state to ride through even with the mountain climbs.  We had a category 2 and 3 and three category 4 climbs today.  It was a long day,
125.3 mi, 7,987 ft of climbing, 8 hrs 5 min of riding time and 4,962 calories burned at an average speed of 15.5 mph.

While I was struggling up Hogback mountain today, the weirdest thing happened.  A tractor trailer pulled along side of me and caused me to get real close the guard rail.  I did not know what was going on so I stopped.  Then he stopped and it appeared he wanted me to grab onto the back of his truck so he could assist me to get to the top.  I waved him off and he continued on although at that point I sure could have used the assist.  

I had two visitors today in Keene, Millie Vigneault and Michael Sullivan.  The last time I saw Millie was when the US Hockey team won the Gold Medal in 1980, thats over 33 years ago.  My friend Sully stopped by as he could not make it to Salisbury tomorrow.  One of Sully's sons just graduated from Keene State and the another son currently attends school there.  

Today Pelham Island Pictures released the much anticipated mini documentary of my ride.  You can view it at this link;  http://vimeo.com/66757084  Please share with your network of friends and family.  Fundraising for the Wounded Warrior Project is at $12,115 with a goal of $15,000. 

While riding today I realized that tomorrow this epic journey will end and it will be back to reality.  As tough as the terrain was today, I savored the day and look forward to tomorrow.  Our anticipated arrival to Salisbury beach is 2:00.  Please come out and join me as I dip my wheel in the Atlantic Ocean and put an end to this mission.  


Pictures from today:

(Most Photos taken by Mike Munk- Bamacyclist.com)



13th State


14th state




Water rolling down from the mountain tops



Panoramic view approaching the top of Hogback Mountain

AT the top of Hogback Mountain






Millie and I together again after 33 years

4 comments:

  1. Proud of you Babe! Can't wait to see you tomorrow!! XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. From: Darin Armstrong #TeamLIVESTRONG

    Hello Philip,
    Just a quick email to ask if you would be interested in a ‘mutual’ following on twitter. I am currently following you now and am awaiting for your follow-back. (#FYI I do RT’s ‘ANYTIME’ for all #Triathletes #Cyclists #UltraRunners #Marathoners #FitnessProfessionals who follow me on Twitter and have something important they want mentioned for support…Over 41K folks at your access.)

    All the very best to you & yours for the rest of 2013 & beyond Philip. I look forward to hearing from you…

    PS. "Thank You Philip For Serving & Protecting Our Great Country!"

    Darin
    twitter.com/DarinArmstrong
    #TeamLIVESTRONG

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Phil, -what an accomplishment for such a great cause. Sounds like you enjoyed the adventure. Well done!!

    Cheers,

    -Burt

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are truly inspirational, Phil. I linked it to my Facebook so that hopefully more donations will roll in. What an incredible journey and accomplishment. You make me proud that you did this for such a great cause.

    All My Best - Glen

    ReplyDelete